The Writing Center is staffed by students who have proven themselves to be strong writers as well as communicators. You should expect to work in a collaborative and energetic environment. The process of writing begins with the process of thinking. Peer Writing Assistants are trained to ask questions and guide the writer.
When working with students, Peer Writing Assistants WILL:
- help students understand assignments
- guide students through prewriting strategies
- encourage students to read their drafts aloud, while asking open-ended questions
- teach editing strategies
- provide appropriate feedback
- direct students to print and online resources
Peer Writing Assistants WILL NOT:
- tell students they must add or delete specific details
- proofread or correct papers for students
- write passages for students’ papers.
- In other words, the Writing Center is not an Editing Center.